Thursday, June 24, 2010

Being Free

Nothing says summer like listening to country music with the windows down while wearing your fav swimsuit driving down the country roads with your best friends. Those are the days that we never forget, and the ones we crave to taste again. At the beginning of the summer, I got a sample of what all of my friends and family will be doing for the rest of the summer: going on as if nothing had changed, working those underpaid summer jobs but living life and enjoying the summer freedom.

I've given up the normal college summer routine for this internship. It's still mind boggling to me; I can't believe I have been living in Turkey for 3 weeks now. Crazy. I still have 8 more weeks to go! I'm so excited for all of the traveling left, all of the people to meet, and all of the adventures yet to be had.

This year is different for me. It's different for my family. As close as I am to water I'm not any closer to a decent beach than my hometown in Michigan, nor is my job here any more interesting. It's still summer. But where's that country twang? that freedom feeling you get from the wind between your fingers? I'll tell you where it is: it's on the walk to work when men stare at my roommate and I (boys will be boys *sigh). It's those excursions at night to the park around the corner, being goofy and laughing with your friends. It's on the internet when you talk with anyone you consider to be family on skype. It's on the upper deck of the ferry between Asia and Europe where the wind whips your hair around your face and cools your cheeks against the hot summer sun.

Summer is finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment