Wednesday, June 9, 2010

YEMEK!!!!

Yemek=Food. The food here is good. No. It's simply divine. Since I've been in Turkey, I have become less picky. Shocker, I know. I have eaten so many things that I swore I would never even touch let alone put in my mouth. The service bus doesn't pick us, my roommate and I, at the dorms; there is a bus stop that is a 20 min walk away. On the way to the bus stop there is a pastry store, perfect for breakfast. This morning we decided was a good morning to try it out. I have no clue what I bought or what was in it, but it was delicious! Tomorrow maybe we will stop at the same place. I will ask for specific names/take pictures of the heavens-on-a-napkin. I must admit, I was nervous about food before coming here. I am enjoying it a lot, so you know it's good ;). For lunch today I also tried köfte, ground beef (or lamb, I had beef) mixed with spices like a meatball. It was interesting...for me it didn't compare to döner. It was still pretty tasty though. I tried this at Istinye Park, the large and rather fancy mall near my office building. I have also decided that I love tea. Love love LOVE IT. I drink at least one cup in the morning and maybe one cup in the afternoon. If I don't drink it in the afternoon I drink Turkish coffee. Yes, it's very strong but in a good way.

Work is getting better every day. Today I was assigned to read about factoring - what it is, what are the advantages, how it works, etc. It was interesting for maybe the first 5 min. Then I had to find more in-depth information which got a little bit repetitive and boring. When I was done reading, I decided that it was a good time to look up some Turkish grammar. Today was past tense day. Tomorrow will be a review and maybe future tenses (I found an EXTREMELY helpful website: http://turkishlanguage.co.uk/ ). As much as I want to, I will refrain from putting up sticky note signs that say the Turkish words for objects around the office. My co-workers are very excited to help me out and answer any questions I may have (and to practice their English too!).

I still have a cold. I'm getting better, but it still sucks being sick in a foreign country. Luckily I drink enough tea for a small family so I should be better in no time!


This is Park Plaza, my office building.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go trying the new foods!
    Tea is the junk! What types of tea are you drinking?
    What floor are you working on? How many floors in the building total?
    I thought it was funny to see the olympics stuff still up...lol

    Sounds like your having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the flavors, I just drink it haha.
    I work on the 10th and 11th floors of PP (Park Plaza). The different departments are split up on the different floors. However, the overall floor is shared with other companies.

    I've never noticed that before..huh. I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete